Sunday 18 May 2014

Early summer mornings, the best time of the day

When the sun is shining and it is lovely and warm, early mornings are brilliant.
I have loads to do, sowing seeds in the greenhouse and the garden, but as the sun gets higher in the sky during the day, the greenhouse becomes too hot to work in. So the weather this morning was perfect for greenhouse planting.
I've managed to sow butternut squash, marrows, courgettes (I grow both types despite being able to leave courgettes on to mature), my Mum and Dad's favourite veg for lunch in the summer are runner beans and marrow, so I grow lots of both. We love the courgettes as they are great on the barbecue and also can be marinated in a salad dressing, a favourite for breakfast too as courgette fritters, and this year I'm planning on growing enough so that I can cook the flowers.
Also sown are some Russian sunflowers which are giants, they will produce and amazing display at the edge of the garden, attract the bees and also provide valuable food for the birds in the winter. I have changed to single flowered varieties of all daisy type flowers as the doubles aren't good for the bees.
The apple cucumbers are in, the seed may be a bit old, but it's worth a try. Apple cucumbers are lovely, they also grow happily up wigwams if you remember to tie them in, this is great as you can pick them without bending down.
The seeds sown on the first bank holiday are now beginning to show their leaves, so are the weeds, so I will be out with the hoe later and trying to prevent them getting a foothold.
Time to go through my seed basket and work out what I need to sow next.
A gardeners work never stops.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Sylvianne, you've got a lot of crops to look forward to!
    If you're wanting to sow something else, what about Rainbow Lights Chard - it's great to eat, and so very pretty too!
    Emma :-)

    ReplyDelete