Monday 10 August 2015

Putting your "Back" into the gardening

Well, the title of this blog post is a lovely phrase, but what does it mean to you, when you want to produce your own organic vegetables for the family.
For me, the thought of digging the garden is now daunting as I'm beginning to creak and any over exertion results in suffering from aches and pains that can impact my daily life, which isn't good. I've suffered from a bad back for the last few years and have been incapacitated simply from digging a small bit of the garden.
We have very sandy soil, so it isn't very heavy to dig, but does need masses of organic matter to keep the nutrients and water in the soil.
This year I decided to investigate the "No Dig" method of gardening and started researching on Charles Dowding's website.
Work started in the spring and I have had to battle with the family about whether this method would be any use, but luckily I had my mum on my side as apparently my grandad had started using this method many years ago, but I didn't know.
I've bought two books by Charles to help me with the planning this year and to try and improve the production of my veg plot.



The Tomato Bed
It was a family effort to get started. The bed with the tomatoes in just needed the weeds scraping off the surface. It was then covered with 6 inches of leaf mold that we have piles of in the wooded area of the garden.
I planted up 3 different varieties of tomatoes that hubby has started from seed, Mr Stripey, Marmande and Money Maker. I have intercropped with different types of lettuces and also tagetes. The Marmande are already producing lovely tomatoes, great flavour and lower seed content.
In the other bed, it did have lots of deep rooted seeds and bamboo runners through it, so hubby kindly removed all the problems for me and did dig it. It was then firmed by walking over it and covered with more of the leaf mold. I've planted wigwams for my runner beans, pencil podded french beans, flat french beans, mangetout and normal peas. There are also cabbages and sprouts in. A couple of marrows have been fitted in amongst the wigwams.
Unfortunately my dad still thinks that everything has to be in long lines with massive gaps between the rows and he didn't think that two wigwams would give him enough runner beans for all of us, but I'm beginning to win the battle, beans are growing fast and we are keeping up with demand (mum and dad can and do happily eat runner beans with every lunch without getting fed up with them).
I'm about to get busy clearing the odd weed, pulling up the old broad beans and lettuces and put in some new veg.
Now to decide what I can still plant that will successfully grow, plus a quick trip to the garden centre to buy some veg in modules, a very quick fix and a chance to get ahead.
I suppose the polytunnel should also get some of my attention, especially as the forecast today is dire.

No comments:

Post a Comment